By REBEKAH DEVLIN
With wait times blowing out beyond 12 months in some disciplines, it can feel like you may never get your child seen. But there are some things you can to help move things along a little. Here’s our tips for being seen quicker.
• Put your name down for as many clinics as possible.
• Call regularly and request to be put on the “cancellations list”, tell them you’re willing to take same-day cancellations.
• Be prepared to take appointments during school times.
• Look outside your area – that may mean travelling further
than you’d hoped.
• Look online for therapists doing zoom sessions, they might even be in another state.
• See if you can hire a therapy student as a support worker, approach local universities.
• Look at holiday programs run by therapists or organisations.
• Be prepared to have monthly therapy sessions with “homework” to do in between appointments, if you can’t get in as regularly as you would like.
• Ask if there are any junior therapists at the clinic – they often have shorter wait times than the senior clinicians.